Subject: Re: cache
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.rhein.de>
List: amiga
Date: 03/26/1996 08:45:22
jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:

>> told before that the memory access in stock Amiga ( A4000 in my case )
>> is quite slow.

>You have been misinformed.  Memory access in the Amiga between the CPU and
>fast RAM is quite fast.  So fast, that adding an L2 cache will not make it
>any faster.

Memory access in a stock A4000/040 is slow, about 13MByte/s. That's about the
speed of lousy 486 boards that try to hide it with 2nd level cache. Modern
486 boards and Pentiums have faster memory.

Memory access in most 040 accelerator boards is faster, from 25MByte/s to 60MByte/s.

>You seem fixated on the idea that adding a Level-2 cache to the Amiga will
>fix all of your problems.

It will fix some problems on some Amiga configurations. Of course, faster memory
will do the same. But then you have the problem that you may not be able to
make the memory faster or that an equivalent cache might be cheaper.

Regards,
--
                                Michael van Elst

Internet: mlelstv@serpens.rhein.de