Subject: Re: panic: bus error
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: amiga
Date: 03/23/1996 11:26:25
is@Beverly.Rhein.DE wrote:
: Adam Silverstein (adams@earthbound.com) wrote:
: : My system is an A4000/Warp040@25MhZ (18 meg RAM), AOS 3.1...
: : warpscsi.device and ide device being used, A2065 ethernet, Retina Z3... and
: : I have an emplant board in there.

: : Heres the symptoms:
: :
: : I boot loadbsd -b netbsd and everything seems fine.  BSD sees me drives and
: : devices, the retina etc..  It sees the swap-root I streamed and gives me a
: : blurb about irreversable instalations and then says:
: :
: : ....install [yN]?
: :
: However, there was a bug where too much of Zorro III i/o space could not
: be handled in the kernel and would give crashes, eventually. I don't
: remember for sure when this was fixed; it might have been after the initial
: 1.1 release, but you could be happy with 1.1pl1. I'll check and tell
: you.

Just checked. This one was fixed in the -1.1 release.

However, there is a Heisenbug hitting some of the people with a Retina
Z3 AND a 68040 cpu (but not all of them). You're a victim of it.

Repair:

1) boot NetBSD without active Retina

1a) you can either take it out of the computer

1b) or get

ftp://ftp.uni-regensburg.de/pub/NetBSD-Amiga/tools/gobsd-1.01-bin.lha
and use the included "shutup" program to mark the Retina as
shut up, then boot with the gobsd instead of the loadbsd program.

2) install as described in the INSTALL document, always using GOBSD
instead of loadbsd, and remember to read the gobsd.readme to find out
which parameters GOBSD wants.

3) install also the kernel sources.

Log in to NetBSD.

cd /usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/conf

edit the GENERIC file there; uncomment (remove the hash in front of it) the

#options RETINA_SPEED_HACK

line.

Save the file.

config GENERIC
cd ../compile/GENERIC
make depend && make

A new kernel should be built, which should work with your 040 and Retina.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis