Subject: Re: panic: bus error
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: amiga
Date: 03/23/1996 10:56:23
Adam Silverstein (adams@earthbound.com) wrote:
: I'm on an Amiga 4000 w/warpscsi and trying to do a fresh install of BSD1.1
: I had 1.0 installed, but thought I should do a "clean" install -  besides I
: wanted to move to another parition.  I'm having trouble booting into the
: install mode (-b) with the kernel provided in the 1.1 relears heirerarchy.
: If my problem (description below) is kernel related - can I binpatch it?
: Or where can I find other versions of the kernal that might work with my
: configuration?
:
: My system is an A4000/Warp040@25MhZ (18 meg RAM), AOS 3.1...
: warpscsi.device and ide device being used, A2065 ethernet, Retina Z3... and
: I have an emplant board in there.
:
: Could the emplant board be the trouble maker?  Or the interrupt software

In theory, yes.
: that it installs at boot time (other emplant users)?  Are there still
: limitations on the placement of root & swap partitions?  I seem to remember

yes, for the generic kernel. No, once you build your own and define
where you want it to be possible. But for the install boot it should not matter.

: from installing V1.0 that I needed to have them both on the same logical
: device... Is that still true under 1.1 (if so, the FAQ fails to mention
: it).

Hm, the official document which should tell about is the INSTALL
document, and I think you're right, its not there. I'll fix it for
1.1pl2 and 1.2.

: Anyway, I'm stuck and I'd _really_ appreciate some help!
:
: Heres the symptoms:
:
: I boot loadbsd -b netbsd and everything seems fine.  BSD sees me drives and
: devices, the retina etc..  It sees the swap-root I streamed and gives me a
: blurb about irreversable instalations and then says:
:
: ....install [yN]?
:
: I answer Y, I get:

: error
:
: type 0
: code a5
: v=2f843d4
:
: panic: bus error.....
:
: any ideas?

Yes. While the Emplant might be the culprit, if it misbehaves, NetBSD
doesnt touch it, and so it should in theory be quiet.

However, there was a bug where too much of Zorro III i/o space could not
be handled in the kernel and would give crashes, eventually. I don't
remember for sure when this was fixed; it might have been after the initial
1.1 release, but you could be happy with 1.1pl1. I'll check and tell
you.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis