Subject: Install Problem
To: NetBSD Questions <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ola Eric Olsson <oeolsson@CERF.NET>
List: amiga
Date: 03/03/1996 18:34:03
I had a fully functional NetBSD 1.1 system running with X11R6 on a Spectrum
with CyberGraphX software. I had to retire the drive though when I noticed the
system behaving flaky and sure enough there were hard errors on the drive. I
installed a new Quantum Maverick drive for NetBSD. Suddenly I'm having an
impossible time trying to get it up and running again.

The drive is configured using HDtoolBox as specified in the "NetBSD 1.1 Install
- Update" just as I did the last time. This time however, the installation
hangs when it is "scanning for the root device". I've used different drives,
even different controllers with the same result. Strangely, if I use two
controllers with two drives both set up with ROOT, SWAP, and USER partitions,
THEN and ONLY THEN will the install find the ROOT partitions. At this point I
can choose the one I want, go through the entire install procedure. However,
after "Configure", halting, and rebooting back to the Amiga I cannot mount
ROOT! When I enter "loadbsd netbsd" I get this message:

   panic: cannot mount root
   syncing disks... done
   cannot set battery backed clock
   dumping to dev 441, offset 60928
   dump 16 15 14 13 12 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

I am ready to scream. If I remove either one of the drives from the system, I
get back to the point where it hangs "scanning for root". If I put both drives
on one controller it hangs. They have to be on two controllers, and even then I
can get 99% done then fail! Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

System info:

Main SCSI -- GVP Scsi controller with GURU ROM (omniscsi.device)
2nd SCSI  -- IVS Trumcard Pro

PROCESSOR:      CPU 68030/68882fpu/68030mmu
CUSTOM CHIPS:   ECS NTSC Agnus (id=$0030), Normal Denise (id=$00FF)
VERS:   Kickstart version 40.63, Exec version 40.10, Disk version 40.42
RAM:    Node type $A, Attributes $5 (FAST), at $1000000-$1FFFFFF (16.0 meg)
        Node type $A, Attributes $703 (CHIP), at $4000-$1FFFFF (~2.0 meg)
BOARDS:
 Board + ROM (HD?) (unidentified):   Prod=2017/11($7E1/$B) (@$E90000 64K)
 Board + ROM (HD?) (unidentified):   Prod=2112/52($840/$34) (@$EA0000 64K)
 Board (unidentified):   Prod=2193/1($891/$1) (@$200000 2meg)