Subject: Re: Which '040 is this?
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <bsieker@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga
Date: 01/30/1996 16:31:23
> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 13:52:37 -0800 (PST)
> From: Garth Corral <garthc@compass-da.com>
>

> Greetings,
>
>     I have recently come into posession of an A3640 accelerator card and
> would like to run NetBSD on it in my A3000.  Trouble is I'm not sure
> which chip it has and I'm not current on Motorola nomenclature :-).
>
>     The cpu has XC68040HRC25M printed on top along with a smaller block
                    ^^^^^

It is a full 68040 with MMU and FPU. Indicative of crippeled versions
are the letters EC (no/disabled MMU) or LC (no/disabled FPU) between
the "68" and the "040". XC means it is a pre-series example, but I am
not sure if final (MC...) Versions of the 68040 have ever been
built. All I've seen so far were XC.

The other letters indicate temperature specifications, clock speed
(the 25, of course) manufacturing process details and other things I
don't know.

>     So, can anybody tell me which chip this is?  Is it crippled?  Can I
> run NetBSD on it?  Any help will be appreciated.

No, it is not crippled.
Yes, NetBSD will run fine on it.

> Thanks,
>  Garth.