Subject: Re: compiling kernel: does 'make depend' have its dependencies right?
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: amiga
Date: 01/29/1996 17:09:55
In article <199601290836.KAA02055@korppi.cs.tut.fi>,
Kortelainen Mika  <k125374@cs.tut.fi> wrote:

> > > No kernel has ever started for me by copying it to /dev/reload.
> >
> > nor for me - it's just like /dev/null
> >
> Are you sure that your /dev/reload is a real device (i.e. that
> it is supposed to do something)?  I use /dev/reload all the
> time if I want to boot a new kernel (under 1.0, 1.0a and 1.1).
> Sometimes it doesn't work if there are too many changes in 'bad'
> places, but usually it does.

/dev/reload is more trouble than it's worth, IMHO. Think about what you
gain (a slightly faster reboot), vs. the likely chance it won't work
work (and then it takes longer to reboot). For that matter, even if
/dev/reload seems to work when you boot, ho do you know that later it
won't lead to a crash or cause other problems? If you do crash or have
problems, you'll never know if it was a real bug, or a problem caused by
/dev/reload that could have been avoided. That's why I always ignored
the device and just booted properly.