Subject: Re: BSD on 3000(no roms)
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: amiga
Date: 01/10/1996 21:23:04
Blitter (dkaupp@netcom.com) wrote:
:
:  I'm going to be installing BSD on a softkicked A3000 (the one with no
: roms, just a rom file). If there is any additional info concerning the

Oh... no, you probably are talking about a machine with V36 ROMs, which
are stable enough to come up, see the rom image, load it
@top_of_fastmem-, remap in into the ROM area and reboot from it?

: softkicked 3000's and NetBSD, probs

none.

: and solutions.

just go for it.

Adding to the people who say that it works (I can name two others, if
you want --- me not included, I swapped my softkick ROMs with one of
them and bought OS3.1 later --- I can witness that I saw, last time this
Monday:

a) the piece of code in the bootloader which reclaims that part of FASTmem for
NetBSD (and no, its only 0.5 MB, not 4)

b) the code in the kernel startup sequence which maps the V36 ROMs back in
so that the machine can actually be rebootet to ADOS without power cycling.

:  I ran into some trouble with Linux, when I had the Rom image loaded it
: would unvalidate the first 4 megs of fast ram

I dont understand, why 4 MB and not 0.5... (I'd understand the latter) but
they know how to get our source and look at it to learn how to do it right.

Regards,
	Ignatios