Subject: Re: Disk geometry
To: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
From: None <tabt@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de>
List: amiga
Date: 11/20/1995 17:37:45

> Garth Corral (garthc@compass-da.sanjose.compass-da.com) wrote:
>
> : related.  They are as follows:
> :
> : warning found rdb->secpercyl(1045) != rdb->nsectors(117) * rdb->nheads(9)
> : warning lp->d_sparespercyl(8) not multiple of lp->d_ntracks(9)
>
> Hm, I thought from the beginning that the RDB reading code is a bit
> picky about things which are quite common - I have a similar warning
> when booting.

No, that's another problem, I encountered some time ago: it seems that
HDToolBox makes an error _sometimes_ when calculating the values, i.e.
SectorsPerTrack * Heads != SectorsPerCylinder.
This only happens in some cases, I noticed it one time with a DEC 1.6 GB
drive, it never happened on my own drives.
On the other hand, when I get a new harddisk, I use ProbeScsi to get the
number of blocks and calculate the optimal parameters. HDToolBox tends
to use rather bad values, which leave up to some MegaBytes of hd space
unusable...

Bye,                    \|/
  Tobias                @ @
| Tobias Abt                                           |
| email: tabt@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de                 |
|   irc: tabt@#AmigaGer                                |
|   www: http://rpool1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/~zcjc1121/ |