Subject: Re: Keyboard/SCSI-Interference
To: Frank Dana <danaf@cs.rpi.edu>
From: Calvin <diavolo@azure.engin.umich.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 11/19/1995 04:59:19
On Sun, 19 Nov 1995, Frank Dana wrote:

> ...Or to the keyboard. It's the SCSI bus freezing the entire system,
> basically, and I experience it under 1.1_ALPHA (951021 sources, soon to
> be 951117) as well. My system is an A2000 4/2 with GVP 4008 controlling
> a Quantum Lightning 730.

The way the console keyboard is affected is bad though.  Users who are
logged on remotely only experience lag, but the console keyboard can sit
there _repeating_ for quite a while.  It doesn't explain why it decides
to caps lock on its own.  Even if the entire system is frozen, why would
the caps lock come on by itself without being pressed?

Another problem that I forgot to mention is keycap scrambling.  During
really heavy disk activity, sometimes the entire keyboard rearranges
itself.  All the keys would type the wrong characters, and not all
characters are present so it's not possible to log out.  I would have to
telnet in remotely, and log myself out.  Even after logging myself out,
the keyboard remains scrambled at the login prompt so no logins are
possible until well after the heavy disk activity is over.  Again, this
occurs during the daily maintenance scripts so I'm wary of using the
computer during nightly maintenance at all because of all the problems.

Anyway, I'm not entirely certain this is NOT related to the keyboard.

--
 o/ \o/  o  <o   o  o   o    She walks in  beauty, like the night
<|   |  /|\  |> <|><|> <|\       Of cloudless climes and starry skies;