Subject: Keyboard/SCSI-Interference
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang von Hansen <vhansen@ipf.bau-verm.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: amiga
Date: 11/18/1995 15:39:48
There seems to be a problem with the keyboard driver. I've noticed this
under X11 and don't know if it also applies to a simple console window.

When there's a lot of SCSI-activity the keyboard behaves strange on input
into an xterm window. First of all not all pressed keys are recognized
(which may also be due to higher system load during disk access). Then some
chars repeat themselves as if the key was not released in time. On even
higher load the input gets capsed (which can't be reversed using the
caps-key)..

I've watched this behaviour for quite a long time but always thought that
the reason were just some minor flaws in the X11- or keyboard-drivers. But
now I bought a CD-ROM-drive and I am running part of the software off the
Gateway CD. This of course means an approximately doubled SCSI-traffic and
the keyboard problems in xterms are noticably getting worse. I am quite
positive that either the drivers interfere with each other or that there
are some hardware problems with my computer.

My system's an A3000 with 16/2MB RAM, SCSI-HD & CD-ROM. I am running
NetBSD 1.0 from the Gateway CD-ROM. I am using the (generic?) kernel
`/netbsd' of the CD with Xdaniver as the xserver.

Wolfgang