Subject: Re: upgrading from 1.0 to 1.1_ALPHA
To: Baldassare Profeta <dante@mbox.vol.it>
From: Kolbjxrn Barmen <kolla@nvg.unit.no>
List: amiga
Date: 11/13/1995 08:00:51
On Mon, 13 Nov 1995, Baldassare Profeta wrote:

> Ok, thank you very much.
> Now I was able to mount the ados partition.
> I think the mount_ados man should be improved: -o options is not clear at all.
> There's no written which those options are.
>
> Well, now I got some more problems :-)  ...Yes, I'm a unix novice and I
> must be stupid :-(

I know that feeling very well :o)

> Booting in multiuser mode I can't get the login prompt:
>
> Nov 12 16:38:19 myname init: kernel security level changed from 0 to 1
> Nov 12 16:38:19 myname getty[92]: /dev/ttye4: No such file or directory
> Nov 12 16:38:19 myname getty[91]: /dev/ttye3: No such file or directory
> Nov 12 16:38:19 myname getty[89]: /dev/ttye1: Device not configured
> Nov 12 16:38:19 myname getty[90]: /dev/ttye2: Device not configured
>
> And it doesn't show me the login prompt.
>
> How have I to configure ttye1 ecc...?

Try this, it might work ...
Check if there is a /dev/MAKEDEV, there should be one.
Go into /dev/	:	cd /dev
write		:	./MAKEDEV ttye1
			./MAKEDEV ttye2
			./MAKEDEV ttye3
etc...

Check if they there now.

To fix the hole /dev/ directory you could also type in:
./MAKEDEV all
The MAKEDEV script will then try to make all the entries it supposed to.

If these things doesn't work, look up in the manuals for mknod
man mknod
mknod is the program that in the end makes the /dev/ entries,
I havent had so much need to use it, so I'm not really sure how it works.

Maybe someone else could answer to this ?

    Kolbjorn Barmen        ///   e-mail: kolla@nvg.unit.no      irc: kolla
    Brendeholten 45       ///   A1200, 030MMU/882@50MHz, 18MB RAM, 1.8GB HD
     N-6800 FORDE     \\\///     AmigaOS, MacOS, MS-DOS, NetBSD, Linux/68k
        NORWAY         \///         www: http://www.nvg.unit.no/~kolla