Subject: Re: difference between 1.0 and 1.1 filesystem?
To: Jim Shaffer , <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 11/01/1995 21:51:45
On Nov  1,  5:31pm, Jim Shaffer wrote:
> I've been running the 1.0 kernel with no problems.  I just downloaded
> the 1.1 alpha kernel, and during the boot process it says 'filesystem
> not clean, run fsck' and then my drives end up read-only.  fsck never
> reports any other errors under either kernel, so I was wondering what
> this meant.  Is there some serious difference between the 1.0 and 1.1
> kernels?

  It means that the 1.1 kernel is checking the "file system clean" status
bit in the file system, and find that the file system was not marked clean.
The 1.0 fsck doesn't know anything about the clean status, and can not
set the file system clean.  You need to build (or otherwise obtain) a
newer fsck.

  There are a number of other differences between 1.0 and 1.1 - one
serious difference is in the ados filesystem:  the read-only status
is now enforced and thus it must be mounted read-only.  The 1.0
mount_ados does not have the abilitity to do a read-only mount, and
will fail on a 1.1 kernel.

> Also, when the complete 1.1 release arrives, will there be a way provided
> to upgrade only the files that have changed from 1.0, or will I have to
> re-install the whole system?

  The 1.1 release will include an upgrade procedure, which will copy
the new distribution files to an existing system.

> PS to paragraph 1: I haven't copied the new kernel to /netbsd because
> I can't mount my amigados partitions onto a read-only bsd filesystem.

  I've mounted amigados partitons on read-only file systems with no
problem.  You wouldn't be able to copy the new kernel to /netbsd though.
And until you update mount_ados, you won't be able to mount any ados
partitions anyway.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu