Subject: SCSI Hardware Failure (Non Media)
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Arthur Hoffmann <hoffmann@it.ntu.edu.au>
List: amiga
Date: 10/23/1995 17:36:58
Hi, I have here a Quantum LPS 240 Hard disk.
All of a sudden I can't access the drive anymore, neither under
AmigaDos nor under NetBSD Current:
under NetBSD-current I get the following message:

Oct 21 10:55:06 atze /netbsd: ahsc0: target 5 now synchronous, period=208ns, offset=8.
Oct 21 10:55:06 atze /netbsd: probe(ahsc0:5:0): non-media hardware failure, data = 00 00 00 00 81 00 00 00 00 00
Oct 21 10:55:06 atze /netbsd: ahsc0 targ 5 lun 0: <QUANTUM, LP240S, 6.4> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
Oct 21 10:55:06 atze /netbsd: sd1 at scsibus0sd1(ahsc0:5:0): non-media hardware failure, data = 00 00 00 00 81 00 00 00 00 00
Oct 21 10:55:07 atze /netbsd: : drive offline

Under AmigaDOS in HDToolBox in the Change Drive Type menu when I press
the button that reads the information off the drive I get the
manufacturer and drive type information ok, but It comes up with a requester
saying "Can't read drive size"
I then proceeded and entered all the parameters by hand and went to partition the
drive. When I wanted to save the information it comes back with:
a requester: "Error 4 on write". The information is not written to the disk.

The drive sits there and blinks about every 7 seconds for about 2 seconds.

I checked out the jumpers on the disk and the manual told me that the ss jumper
is for a self-seek test:
Quote form the Quantum Manual:
	SS Jumper ON:
	self-seek test enabled. The test is initiated when power
	is applied to the drive. The test will continue until power is
	removed. The drive LED remains on during the test. A
	flashing LED indicates a drive error.

Well I proceeded with the test but the result is noting like described above:
the drive spins up and the light comes on for a fraction of a second while it is
doing that. Then the drive just sits there with the disks running, nothing else
happens.

Does anyone have any idea what happened? And more importantly what I can do to get
the drive back to live?

Thanks for your help.

Arthur.

__