Subject: netbsd speed on Amiga
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: michel beausejour <mbeausej@qc.bell.ca>
List: amiga
Date: 09/24/1995 17:48:01
I was making some comparisons between Netbsd and FreeBSD. I've compiled povray2.1
on both platforms and tried the result programs on both platforms.

Under NetBSD i've compiled the program with gcc with options -m68040 and -m68881
under FreeBSD i've used the options -m486.

NetBSD                                                    FreeBSD 2.0.5
A3000 2meg chip/8megsFAST                             Dell 486Dx33 12megs (70ns)
(8megs SCZIP 70ns)
PicassoII
A3640 (68040 25MHZ)

also i've used a precompile version of povray (povray040 on aminet) to test
under amigados

here are the results:

N.B: Using same definiton file with same resolution and dimension without the display option.

A3000 (040) running amigados         povray said that it took 12mins to render
A3000 (040) running NetBSD-current   " " " "" " "" " " "" " ""18mins to render
Dell 486DX33 running FreeBSD-2.0.5                             9mins to render

(if you want to do the test i've used the roman.pov file in the povray distribution
and set a dimension of 320X200 )

How come the big difference between NetBSD and FreeBSD i thought that  they will be
closer than that. No?

I have the same daemons running on both systems (nfsdmportmap,sendmail etc..)

It may look like that i'm comparing apples with oranges but i disagree.

Bye
Michel