Subject: Re: just black with self-compiled 1.0 kernel (gcc2.6.1(?)) ?
To: Kai Bartels <kaba@zfn.uni-bremen.de>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 09/12/1995 10:27:37
On Sep 12,  3:21pm, Kai Bartels wrote:
> which I installed in the meantime. I got to undefined refs (_memcpy and
> _setconfig) the first of which I eliminated by prepending some lines to
> bcopy in locore.s that swap two args. The second went away after I
           ^^^^^^^^
> removed 'option GENERIC' from the kernel-config file.
> Now the thing compiled normally, but when I do a 'cp netbsd /dev/reload'
> I simply get a black screen after the reboot. Northin happens.
>
> What was my error?

  Making changes to locore.s.

  If the reload code changes location in locore.s, you can't reload the
new kernel from the old kernel.  The reload works by copying the new
kernel to chip memory starting at location 0, then turning the MMU off.
This requires that the code being executed in the running kernel (which
is mapped by the MMU to begin at location 0) to match exactly (well, almost)
with the code to be executed in the new kernel.  If the code is sufficiently
different, when the MMU is turned off, the code in the new kernel will be
executing at a different location and will most likely fail to work.

  Your only option in this case is to boot the new kernel from AmigaDOS
using the loadbsd program.  [Which means you either have to transfer the
kernel to AmigaDOS, or use the BFFSFileSystem to mount the NetBSD filesystem
containing the new kernel.]

Michael