Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD from soft kicked OS3.1
To: None <jodyf@earthlight.co.nz>
From: Markus Dages <paradise@axent.paradise.sub.org>
List: amiga
Date: 09/11/1995 23:30:00
Hi Jody (Jody Fanning),
in <861.6462T1291T231@earthlight.co.nz> on Sep 11 you wrote:

> >I'm booting NetBSD and using the os3.1 soft-kicked Rom on an A3000
> >with no problems.  If you'll describe _exactly_ what's happening on
> >your system (with your systems exact configuration - ram, etc), then
> >maybe we can help you.
>
> >-dick
>
> >According to John Shardlow:
> >>
> >> The problem is that NetBSD won't boot when the OS3.1 ROM is in memory.
> >>
> >> So, I have to switch to the OS2.0 ROM before I can load NetBSD. This
> >> is a major PITA ! :(
>
> I have the same problem. NetBSD won't boot from the softkicked OS3.1 on my
> 3000. I have to drop back to 2.04 to run it. If I stay in 3.1 NetBSD works up
> until the point it checks the SCSI bus then the SCSI light stays on constantly
> and nothing happens.

I had the same problems as I began with netbsd.
I solve this problems by patch my kernelfile so that
_sbic_no_dma=0x and _sbic_inhibit_sync=0x1 .

Try these:

binpatch -s _sbic_no_dma=0x0 kernelfile
binpatch -s _sbic_inhibit_sync=0x1 kernelfile

kernelfile is the filename of your kernel, e.g. "netbsd.a3000"

Btw: On Aminet there is a File called SCSI_Prefs.lha, with them it is easily
     possible switch synchronous scsi transfer to on or off state.

best regards,

Markus
Paradise News System - Systemadministration | /-\XenT  Systems - Karlsruhe,Ger
EMail: root@axent.paradise.sub.org          | Data : +49 721 867964
IRC: paradise  IP: 192.101.75.163           | Priv.: +49 721 863951
                                         * where dreams will fall in reality *