Subject: Re: Hanging on file systems in -current
To: Simon J DeBoer <sdeboer@uoguelph.ca>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
List: amiga
Date: 07/28/1995 11:12:15
On Thu, 27 Jul 1995, Simon J DeBoer wrote:

> Okay I have compiled the -current sources for the kernel (got them from
> ftp.netbsd.org) and when I am booting with the new kernel everything is
> proceeding as it has done under -1.0 but it gets to this point:
> ztwobus0 at mainbus0
> gvpbus0 at ztwobus0 rom 0xe90000 man/pro 2017/11
> gtsc0 at gvpbus0: dmamask 0xffffff bounce pa 0x1d3058 maxdma 1024
> scsibus0 at gtsc0
> ahsc0 at mainbus0
> scsibus1 at ahsc0
> ahsc0 targ 0 lun 0: <SEAGATE ST157N          \^D|j> SCSI1 direct fixed
> sd0 at scsibus1: 46MB, 613 cyl, 6 head, 25 sec, 512 bytes/sec
> ahsc0 targ 1 lun 0: <SEAGATE ST251N          \^D\^K\^G> SCSI1 direct fixed
> sd1 at scsibus1: 41MB, 818 cyl, 4 head, 25 sec, 512 bytes/sec
>
> At this point the drive light is lighted on this drive and it just sits
> there waiting...Now I have an A3000 without any additional hardware, the
> GVP stuff is there because I have a GVP card in my box, but nothing is on
> it.  (I need it for access to the power supply it has, I really hate the
> setup inside the A3000 case!!)
>
> I have one further drive that contains that root and usr partitions and
> is scsi unit 6.  I have configured the kernel so it is supposed to swap
> on sd2b and sd1b.  So is this enough info to figure out where I have gone
> wrong??
>
> 	Thanks,
> 		Simon
>
> --
> Pray to Dis.                                               Trust your Railgun.
>                            sdeboer@uoguelph.ca

I'd say it's the buggy SBIC driver.  I'm working on a newer (better?
faster?) version that supports disconnect.  In the process I completely
re-did the state machines so they're much more robust 8^).  However, the
latest version seems to sometimes misplace data 8^(.

As soon as it's stable I plan to get it in to -current.  Until then if
anyone feels that probing devices is more important than not losing data
I can probably get you a copy.

Eduardo