Subject: Re: Problems with current kernels..
To: Rasmus Wiman <razz@lysator.liu.se>
From: Blaz Zupan <blaz.zupan@uni-mb.si>
List: amiga
Date: 07/04/1995 21:35:15
> I have just brought home the -current kernal sources and compiled a new
> kernel, and it's really nice to finally have a Picasso console in
> 800x600, but there are some problems. (everything except the kernal are
> 1.0) The worst problem is ps, no matter what I do it keeps saying proc
> size mismatch (7728 total, 642 chunks) when root runs it, and
> /dev/kmem:permission denied when ordinary users run it. I have brought
> home the -current ps sources and recompiled it, but it doesn't help...

You also have to recompile and install a new libkvm. There will probably
be some other problems with binaries that you will have to solve
(like mount_ados, mount_mfs, gdb, w, ...) because some of those utilities
depend on some stuff that has changed in -current.

> Also, it seems like I have to keep some Native ECS stuff in the kernal in
> oreder to make the console bell work, which means that NetBSD opens an
> ECS screen for a couple of seconds before opening on the picasso. Is
> there a workaround for this? I'd like to omit all ECS graphics in the

Compile a new kernel and remove all the grf_cc options (if you need
an example on what to remove I can send you my config). This will
compile a kernel without ANY ECS code. But note that the machine will
still flip the screen back to the ECS screen before booting, due to
two things:

1. The loadbsd command uses a LoadView(NULL) command which changes
to the ECS screen. You will have to recompile loadbsd with this command
removed.
2. The grf_cl driver switches back and forth between the two screens.
Apply this patch (but only if you have a patched loadbsd):

-------------------cut here---
*** grf_cl.c.orig	Mon May  8 11:58:36 1995
--- grf_cl.c	Tue May 16 00:14:34 1995
***************
*** 307,313 ****
--- 307,317 ----
  	/* wakeup board and flip passthru OFF */

  	RegWakeup(ba);
+ #if 0
  	RegOnpass(ba);
+ #else
+ 	RegOffpass(ba);
+ #endif

  	vgaw(ba, 0x46e8, 0x16);
  	vgaw(ba, 0x102, 1);
-------------------cut here---

> kernal and still have a console bell, thus making the kernal smaller and
> making the boot process look better! And how can I stop that cursor from
> blinking, it's irritating! Please don't tell me to recompile all the
> binaries, I don't have space for much more than the kernel sources on my
> hard disk!

> I also have some trouble with 16 and 24 bit modes with the Xcl server: if
> I take a working 8-bit mode and simply change the depth to 15, 16 or 24,
> i get a totally unsynced mode. It's not very surprising, but how do I
> change the pixel clock and the other parameters to get a working 16 or 24
> bit mode? I'm using the -950408 Xcl server from ftp.uni-regensburg.de...

I would also like to know that. If you get any private mail about
this could you please forward it to me, too?

Blaz

--
  Blaz Zupan, Ljubljanska 19/b, 62000 Maribor, Slovenia
     blaz.zupan@uni-mb.si, 2:380/104.40, GMIZO::BLAZ