Subject: Re: amiga's being made again.
To: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@CS.kuleuven.ac.be>
From: Jes Degn Soerensen <jds@kom.auc.dk>
List: amiga
Date: 05/24/1995 11:02:57
Geert Uytterhoeven writes:
 > mrg@mame.mu.oz.au (matthew green) wrote:
 > > in this weeks "unigram.x" (number 538):
 > >
 > > --
 > > ESCOM WILL USE 68060 IN NEW AMIGAs UNTIL A POWERPC VERSION IS READY
 > >
 > > Escom AG, Heppenheim, which bought the intellectual property rights,
 > > patents and brand names of Commodore International Ltd last month,
 > > will relaunch the Amiga line soon and will develop a PowerPC version
 > > probably within a year.  The relaunch will feature the Amiga 1200 and
 > > 4000 made in China by Tianjin Family-Used Multimedia Co with Motorola
 > > Inc 68080 chips.  The PowerPC version will be marketed as both a
 >       ^^^^^
 > > serious RISC-based machine and a 32-bit games computer, sold with
 > > either Windows NT, IBM Corp OS/2 or Apple Computer Inc Mac OS.  A
 >          ^^^^^^^^^^           ^^^^                       ^^^^^^
 > And what about AIX 4.1.1 and Solaris 2.4?

Well this sounds very nice, but I haven't heard anything from Dr. Kittel
on CBMNet, and I therefore must say I really don't think all of the data
above is correct. According to Dr. Kittel's statement and thhe other
things that have come out from ESCOM, it seems like they wan't to
produce Amigas, and plan to release a Mac-clone amongst all the
pc-clones they already produce. I don't think they plan to make an Amiga
with NT, OS/2 or Mac OS, atleast thasts not how I read their
statements. Second I don't think Dr. Kittel will let it happen (he's to
smart to do that). Maybe they can convince SUN Soft to release Solaris,
but that'll take a looooong time, and I don't find it to be realistic
(unfortunately not).

Anyway the current statements from ESCOM sounds very promissing though,
and I truely belive we'are getting the greatest computer, ever produced,
back on track :-)

Where did that 68080 come from btw?

Jes