Subject: Re: amiga's being made again.
To: Jes Degn Soerensen <jds@kom.auc.dk>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org>
List: amiga
Date: 05/24/1995 12:43:50
> Joern Clausen writes:
>  >
>  > > Nothing unlikely about solaris.  They did the port, remember?  Solaris
>  > > is SVR4.  The first SVR4 produced by anyone but AT&T was commodore's,
>  > > and it was pretty good.  If they'd maintained it, it would have been the
>  > > best.
>  >
>  > In Dave Haynie's "Death Bed Vigil" Video, it is mentioned that there
>  > were talks between Commodore and Sun. I don't remember it clearly, but
>  > I think, Sun was supposed to produce A3000 (or whatever) equipped with
>  > AMIX as low-end-machines in their usual product line. But of courcse
>  > C='s managment blew the deal.
>  >
>  > I wish, this relation could be revived again.
>
> Thats not really how I remember it. As far as I remember it said the C=
> should write the SYSV-UNIX for SUN's m68k-based machines. But thays
> kinda too late by now, guess SUN's gonna stick with Solaris in their
> future products.

	Let's nip this one in the bud right now.

	Virginia tech used 3000UX's. Sun was going to sell Sun servers and
	workstations and bundle 3000UX's in on the deal as part of
	the package offered to academic sites for students to use
	in dorms in such. i.e. Sun would sell the overall package, C= would
	provide the 3000UX's to Sun. Nothing about sun3's getting AMIX
	involved. This is what is mentioned in the video and what I
	remember from talking to Amiga UNIX developers at the time it was
	going on; I was an Alpha/beta tester for Amiga UNIX from April '91
	to the demise of the UNIX project.

		-Rob