Subject: Serial stops when disk access
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeffrey Ray Thieleke <thieleke@icaen.uiowa.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 05/09/1995 03:46:12
I have noticed that whenever I have disk access, my modem stops
sending/receiving data for the duration of the access, and for about 1
second afterwards.  Naturally, this shoots my FTP and HTTP throughput to
pot, as well as disrupting interactive sessions, so I would like to
alleviate the problem if possible.

My setup: A500 w/GVP A530 (50MHz 030 + 8M 32 bit memory), serial port at
38.4k with CTS/RTS handshaking, -current kernel (from early May sources).

I know that some people with GVP controllers have terrible problems with
disk access and serial port performance, but at least when I am running
AmigaDos, I can be downloading at 1600 cps while I am accessing the hard
drive.  In fact, I rarely have serial errors related to disk access.

Does anyone know what is causing this problem, and more importantly, if
there is any easy way to fix it?

Jeff Thieleke