Subject: Re: Disk performance under NetBSD on A3000
To: Stephen J. Roznowski <sjr@zombie.ncsc.mil>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 04/23/1995 21:00:24
On Apr 23,  9:37pm, "Stephen J. Roznowski" wrote:
> I'm seeing poor disk performance under NetBSD-current on my A3000.
> Under ADOS, I see about 1.7-2.0 megabytes per second (via sysinfo)
> while under NetBSD, I see about 500 kilobytes per second
> (dd if=/dev/zero of=zzzzz bs=1024k count=10).
>
> What disk performance numbers are others seeing?

  Using the same dd command, I get 2MB/second.  That's on my A2000
with a 33Mhz 68040, a Fast SCSI-II adapter, and a Seagate Elite 2
drive.  Also, the file system was created with 16K blocks.  On my
A4000 with a 40Mhz Warp Engine and a Seagate Barrracuda II, I get
3.5MB (again with 16KB filesystem blocksize).

  Trying to compare Sysinfo speeds with a filesystem access using
dd is going to be next to meaningless.  A fairer test would be
DiskSpeed with 8K buffers.  [Filesystem access is going to use
the filesystem buffers, which default to 8K.  Also, the data
being written to the disk has to be copied from the process user
space to the kernel space buffers, which isn't real efficient either.]

Michael