Subject: Re: NetBSD (fwd)
To: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Arlo T. Moran <atmoran@jupiter.acs.oakland.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 03/23/1995 13:13:57
On Thu, 23 Mar 1995, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

>   The A1200 kernel will only work if the system includes the same clock chip
> as the A2000/A500 systems.  I don't think the GVP board has a compatible
> clock chip, and the kernel will hang up when it tries to read the clock.
> The clock handler has been modified in the current kernel so that it won't
> hang when it tries to access the clock.  Using a current kernel should
> allow you to boot, but you will not be able to use the 1.0 floppy install
> disk to install from an AmigaDOS partition (the mount_ados command on the
> floppy file system is not compatible with the current 1.0A kernel).

I think you're right, the GVP board has special clock circuitry.  How,
then, am I going to do the install if I can't pull the sets off an ADOS
partition?  Can I do it via ftp?  If I took that route then I'd have to
be able to configure and connect via PPP from the install disk, which is
a shaky proposition at best.  It it possible to recompile the mount_ados
command to work with the new kernel and release an install disk with these?

Arlo T. Moran