Subject: Re: NetBSD (fwd)
To: Arlo T. Moran <atmoran@jupiter.acs.oakland.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 03/23/1995 10:52:09
On Mar 23, 10:12am, "Arlo T. Moran" wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 1995 tjs2@ukc.ac.uk wrote:
> > Which kernel are you trying to boot with?  I don't think the generic kernel
> > supports A1200 IDE, or it didn't when I installed, which was a while back, so
> > ICBW.  Probably not of any help, but worth a try ;-)
>
> The generic kernel seems to support it, at least it detects an A1200 IDE
> bus with a 515MB drive model AC2540 on it.

  I can't remember if the generic kernel supports the A1200 IDE properly
(I don't remember when I got it working, but I think it did make it into
the 1.0 release).

  The A1200 kernel will only work if the system includes the same clock chip
as the A2000/A500 systems.  I don't think the GVP board has a compatible
clock chip, and the kernel will hang up when it tries to read the clock.
The clock handler has been modified in the current kernel so that it won't
hang when it tries to access the clock.  Using a current kernel should
allow you to boot, but you will not be able to use the 1.0 floppy install
disk to install from an AmigaDOS partition (the mount_ados command on the
floppy file system is not compatible with the current 1.0A kernel).

Michael