Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.0 / GDB
To: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@ataxia.res.wpi.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 02/06/1995 23:36:39
In the beginning there was nothing. Then Hubert Feyrer said:

>> Is there a known bug with gdb in NetBSD 1.0? I can consistently crash
>> my machine with kernel panics tracing through programs...

>I have the same problem, it's quite annoying to see a machine crashing when
>debugging simple c-prog without any special privileges.

I seem to have gotten it fixed, thanks to Michael Hitch.

Michael wrote:

  There was a bug in procfs that was fixed a while back that might
  be causing the problem.  If I remember correctly, there was an
  uninitialized variable.  It may have been in miscfs/procfs/procfs_mem.c,
  and I think the variable was kva.  The current file initializes it
  to VM_MIN_KERNEL_ADDRESS just prior to the vm_map_find() call.  If
  you're building your own kernel, you might try fixing that and see
  if it helps.

I changed this and all seems well so far. The panic I was getting was
from pmap_enter_ptpage, which I remember from my attempts at running a
system with 4MB RAM. Might this be related to the random crashes
people have experienced on machines without a lot of RAM?

So to all those having random crash problems (arrrgh!), try this and
see if it helps. Fixing an uninitialized variable certainly can't _hurt_.

--
	Michael K. Sanders -- msanders@ataxia.res.wpi.edu

ataxia: NetBSD/Amiga 1.0 - Creating Chaos out of Anarchy for a Better Tomorrow
Confusion Central *under construction*