Subject: Re: AAARGH you people
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 01/21/1995 13:07:51
>  No, the problem does exist. I have it happen that my other A3000 with
> only 4MB RAM and only *blush* 5MB swap crashes when i try to start X.

NetBSD used to kernel panic when it ran out of swap space.  I have a single-
user A3000 with 16M of swap space, so I rarely run out.  (I have deliberately
exhausted it as a test.)

I don't know what -current does; haven't tried it in a while.

If you are running a multi-user public access Unix site on 4M of real memory,
you have a problem.  As a rule of thumb, allocate at least 2MB of swap space
per expected concurrent user.  To be safe, 3MB per user.

The VM code is pretty ugly - I'm not in need of a fix so I will be turning
to other things, such as writing SMD and SCSI drivers for the Sun3/260 I'm
getting next week. :-)

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
           email: dej@eecg.toronto.edu, finger for PGP public key