Subject: Re: NetBSD on Aminet?
To: Ezra Story <ezy@panix.com>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga
Date: 01/20/1995 15:12:55
On Jan 19,  4:38pm, Ezra Story wrote:
> >  - No NetBSD on Aminet-CD to avoid commercial/money problems
>
> i.e. Exclude NetBSD from the regular Aminet distribution.

 Gets 100% vote from me.

> >  - wuarchive simply mirrors uni-regensburg, without changes in dir-struct or
>
> i.e. Simply mirror the existing NetBSD-Amiga dir from regensburg.

 Hmpf.

> Why?  Look above.  What's the point of doing all this work?  It's true that
> NetBSD-Amiga could benefit from a larger distribution network, but it is
> also true that Aminet is suited to distributing AmigaDOS stuff, not
> alternative operating systems.  Why not just convince more sites to mirror
> regensburg instead of jumping through various hoops to get everything in
> some "acceptable" form for aminet?

 And we do have mirrors enough. Just there aint that many users of NetBSD
to install more mirrors.

[...]
> There are already NetBSD CD's out (ok, in japan :-) but they'll start
> appearing all over the place soon, I'd bet) and they include the Amiga
> NetBSD distribution.  Aminet is a great resource for AmigaDOS stuff, but
> trying to encompass NetBSD is beyond its scope. (Using lha for UNIX
> archives?  Are you nuts?! :-)).

 No, let him use Lha if he wants, not our problem, but the problem of
the customers. He wants Megabytes? He gets them. You are completely right
about the matter that AmiNet is not suited and declined to (re-)distribute
NetBSD.

> Look, the only reason anyone would want to put NetBSD on aminet in the
> first place is because they want to "advertise" it as being available, and
> increase its distribution.  That's an incredibly silly way to do it.  Just
> post articles about its availability on the proper usenet groups and set
> up mirrors for regensburg.  It's not like someone is gonna refuse to try it
> out because it's "not on aminet".

 Like the average BBS-SysOp - I have it all, 7 Lines, 28.8, warezs and
0-day-stuff. It is of no use to distribute plain binaries wich are not even
Amiga-DOS binaries...

> There is absolutely no reason to associate NetBSD-Amiga with aminet at
> all.

 Thank you very much for this statement, at least someone understood
what happens.

--
Markus Illenseer