Subject: Re: bootstrap?
To: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be>
From: Christian E. Hopps <chopps@water.emich.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 01/12/1995 08:48:19
> > > Why should it ? What so bad about loading the kernel from AmigaOS ?
> > > Lots of work with no real advantage.
> >
> > If the kernel loaded from a custom bootblock, would it then be possible
> > to have a machine completely _without_ AmigaOS?
>
> Yes of course!

The only reason for a custom bootblock is to avoid ADOS all together.  In
the same light I don't want a boot-block that requires ADOS to build it.

I haven't ever bothered to write a bootblock although I have wanted to. What
you need to do if you want to get it in the tree is:

1) have it be fully compiled under NetBSD
2) have it be fully installed under NetBSD

I looked into how to make this work.  The easiest thing to do is have a
small bit of asm that relocates the boot block to a page boundry.  The asm
also maps this memory to some address (anywhere out of normal amiga ranges)
This way you can compile and link under NetBSD.  Of course the asm needs
to be *fully* position independent.

Its not hard to do really so feel free someone. Once you have that small bit
of asm written the rest is cake.  Take a look at the other boot blocks that
are already written and based on libkern.

Chris.