Subject: Re: bootstrap?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@CS.kuleuven.ac.be>
List: amiga
Date: 01/12/1995 13:05:09
Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de> wrote:
> you wrote in <199501110930.KAA05271@euler.cs.kuleuven.ac.be>:
> > > to have a machine completely _without_ AmigaOS?
> >
> > Yes of course!
>
> Without AmigaOS would mean that it is not even used to load the bootblock.
> And that wouldn't work because NetBSD is not able to do Auto Configuration.

With `without AmigaOS' I mean `without booting the part on disk'.

Without playing with the hardware (replacing the Kickstart ROM or putting a
ROM module at 0x00f00000) you can only do the following things:

   - Use a custom bootblock (\`a la Amiga-Lilo)
   - Use the drive_init (don't know how it's called exactly) entry in the RDB.
   - Use an AmigaOS `bootstrap' command (loadbsd/amiboot).

The third approach is the easiest to implement, but requires AmigaOS (on
disk :-).

The second approach allows you to disable the ROM bootmenu too, but it's
more difficult (and dangerous: what if your NetBSD/Linux partition is
screwed up?) to implement.

The first approach seems the most reasonable to me for a `ready-to-release'
product.

Greetings,

						Geert

| Geert Uytterhoeven -->> Wavelets, Amiga, MultiUser, Linux/68k,...  |
| Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be                               |
| Dept. of Computer Science, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium |
  Click!