Subject: Re: bootstrap?
To: Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
From: None <mw@eunet.ch>
List: amiga
Date: 01/10/1995 18:48:09
> > Why would you want a custom bootblock? That still requires ADOS to boot
> > then load the kernal.
>
> I thought it could be done without ADOS.  Silly me huh ?
> > NetBSD is effectively a kickstart file. It may be feasible to
> > make the netbsd kernal look like an A3000 superkickstart file
> > but why?
>
> If you don't know the "why" to this...
>
> Why ?  Because it can be done...

But there are more interesting things to do first, right? Although I
really don't care for audio-support, I'd very much prefer to have audio
before yet-another-but-oh-so-cool way to boot...

> Why ?  Because it would be cool to do...
> Why ?  Because it is an Amiga and only the Amiga makes it possible :-)

See above:-)

> If PC's can boot into netbsd without 'dos then why shouldn't we ?

A bootblock loader can be written (I think someone already wrote one
for 0.9, would probably need just minor tweek to run with 1.0 as well), but
it's not essential to have one to have a working system. It's definitely
a nice-to-have, not a nead-to-have. If you want it, write it :-)

-Markus
--
EUnet Switzerland   Tel:     +41 1 291 45 80	Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35    Hotline: +41 1 291 45 60	mw@eunet.ch