Subject: Shutdown and/or restart of SLIP link
To: Amiga NetBSD - General <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alan Bair <abair@amcu-tx.sps.mot.com>
List: amiga
Date: 01/08/1995 14:41:40
I'm happily using the 1.0 release and can successfully establish a SLIP
connection via dial-up modem back to work. However, this link does not
always stay up for the entire time I am using NetBSD. When it drops, I
have been unable to discover anyway to either shutdown or restablish the
link. NetBSD just seems to think it is still alive and thus any newtorking
commands hang until killed.

I have read through Hubert's Networking FAQ and other postings in the
NetBSD Newsgroups, but can find nothing to cover this problem. The only
thing I can do is completely shutdown NetBSD and restart from scratch.
So I am looking for advice on the following two topics.

1. Is there a way to gracefully shutdown a SLIP or PPP connection. This
	could be usefull even if the modem has not lost the connection to
	allow switching connections.

2. If the modem looses connection, is it possible to restablish the modem
	connection and then let SLIP continue operation?

With #1, #2 just becomes; 1) shutdown SLIP, 2) establish modem connection,
and 3) start SLIP.

--
Alan Bair             		MCTG AMCU DSCS
Motorola, Inc.            	    (Design Software &