Subject: Re: inn + NetBSD 1.0
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: amiga
Date: 12/28/1994 19:31:14
In article <199412281025.MAA19351@muikku.jmp.fi>,
Jukka Marin <jmarin@muikku.jmp.fi> wrote:
> in the active file are not updated correctly.  Even though article
> 100 has arrived and sits in the spool directory, the active file may
> report that only articles 40-93 are actually here.
>
> Could this be a bug in NetBSD's mmap() system?  That the file isn't
> properly updated on disk?

NetBSD does not have a merged VM system and buffer cache. An mmap()ed
file may not be considtent with the filesystem until the region is
munmap()ed or msync()ed. So, to look at the actual contents of the
active file you may have to quit INN or tell it somehow to flush stuff
to disk (innctl may have a way to do this). This shouldn't cause any
problems though, as NNTP access should give up-to-date information.

Actually, if you use cp to copy the active file somewhere and then
examine it, you may get the up-to-date version, since cp mmap()s source
files when possible.

> Anyone with a working INN system on their NetBSD system?

Dunno about Amiga, but I know there are people running INN on other
NetBSD systems.

--
Ty Sarna                 "Don't be wet or humidity, for the cause of
tsarna@endicor.com        electric obstacle." -- Warning from a manual