Subject: Re: Warp Engine...
To: None <amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 12/22/1994 10:18:53
On Dec 22,  6:58am, Peter Seebach wrote:
> Last chance for warnings against using the WarpEngine in a NetBSD box.  I
> hope to use both SCSI controllers (why waste a fast SCSI 2 on a slow SCSI 1
> drive?), and I definitely want the '040 to work.  The board is expected not
> to have any on-board memory.

  Are you asking if there is any reason to not use the WarpEngine for NetBSD?
Mine runs quite nicely and is much nicer than a stock A4000/40.  I've used
both the WarpEngine SCSI and a GVP Series II SCSI with no problems.  As
far as "wasting" a fast SCSI-2 on a SCSI-1 device, I think it's more of a
waste of the CPU to deal with handling data transfers on any Zorro II
SCSI adapters - they can't do DMA to the A4000 motherboard memory or the
WarpEngine on-board memory.  And, speaking of wasting something, why waste
a fast 68040 with slow motherboard memory?

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu
Computer Consultant