Subject: Re: Question about installing on an A2000
To: None <apreston@isd.csc.com>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga
Date: 12/19/1994 18:40:59

>>  Well, there are going to be two memory chunks anyway, with
>> differet priorities.  However, with this setup you have yet another
>> way to go (of course the multiple chunk patches still work), you
>> can use mergemem from 1.3.  It'll merge your two contiguous chunks
>> so they'll look as one.

Anthony>   NO, I get one HUNK of FASTMEM, 8 MBs long from 2.04, even
Anthony> though I do have 2 blocks of memory, they are contigous after
Anthony> AmigaDos starts and they are listed in the exec memory list
Anthony> as one block of memory 8 Mbs in size.

OK, then you don't have to do anything, but surely this must be a bug
in 2.04, no?  Common sense says that there ought to be two chunks with
different priorities, or were the memory priority concept deprecated
in 2.04?  I've always soft-kicked 2.04 and *I* get two chunks when I
have such a layout.  Earlier, I did the mergemem trick, later I used
Tim Newsham's multichunk patch, now I've switched to a Zeus with 16MB
onboard (although I have used multichunk to add 6MB of 16 bit RAM, but
that slowed down the system somewhat, as paging isn't that common when
having 16MB).  Now I'm only waiting for someone to let me use my
16-bit RAM for something useful, like a RAM disk, swap device or
diskcache (probably a bad idea, but that's not entirely certain).

Niklas