Subject: Re: Problems with 1.0 kernel
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
From: Joern Clausen <joern@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga
Date: 12/06/1994 16:09:16
> > This is indeed a problem!!! When I use loadbsd, my A3000 is recognized as
> > A500/2000. I have to start NetBSD with loadbsd -c 3000, otherwise I get
> > the message "No root device". This has happend to several people now, and
> > it is very likely, that the detection of the wrong machine causes heavy
> > problems.
>
>  Hm, i never had such problems with my A3000. You have KS3.1 on ROM?
> I believe that if you have KS3.1 on ROM it is very likely that your
> machine is recognized as A1200 or A4000 even.

You know the story ill, 'cause I discussed it with you some months ago :)

I have KS 2.04 in ROMs. Other people have experienced the same effect, e.g.
Martin Horneffer when he tried to install NetBSD. After several tries by
tron, fiddling around with the _sync_inhibit (or whatever) flag, I suggested
starting NetBSD with -c 3000, and everything worked.

The problem occurs only, when I call loadbsd from the full-blown Workbench.
When I interrupt the bootprocess and call loadbsd from the initial CLI,
NetBSD sometimes starts correct. I have not tracked down the problem to any
certain programm or commodity, but there may be one that is the reason.

> > As some discussion about loadbsd needing OS2.0 for various reasons is going
> > on, how about rewriting it, and, as a side effect, getting rid of
> > ixemul.library? I hate to have this library ready, just to start NetBSD.
>
>  Have you looked at the source of loadbsd yet? Not an easy task...

If I had looked at the source, I probably wouldn't suggest to rewrite that
beast. I meant SOMEONE should rewrite loadbsd, and that someone will not
be me :)

--
Joern Clausen                        "What do you think will be the biggest
joern@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de        problem in computing in the 90s?"