Subject: Problems with 1.0 kernel
To: None <amiga@netbsd.org>
From: jefF rizzO <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: amiga
Date: 12/02/1994 12:23:57
I'm trying to install a fresh disk with 1.0 (release) on a running 1.0_BETA
system.  I've got the drive set up, and I compiled a kernel from the 1.0
sources, but when I try to boot from it with the -b flag to loadbsd, it
hangs just before I should get the "root device>" prompt.

This also happens with the kernel on ftp.netbsd.org.

I've heard that a complete generic kernel will not run on a 1M Chip RAM
system (like mine), which is why I compiled another kernel;  the one I
compiled is about 2k larger than my 1.0_BETA kernel; the one on sun-lamp is
about 40k larger.

Is this what the problem is?  If so, what can I do short of getting more
chip mem?  Here's the other details of my system:

A2000 with GVP G-Force 040, 12M RAM
3.1 ROMs (This has recently been added; I have experienced some problems
with it under ADOS)
Seagate ST41200N 1G drive (NetBSD 1.0_BETA loaded)
Micropolis 4110 1G drive (NetBSD 1.0 loaded)
A2065 ethernet board

Thanks for any help-
+jeff