Subject: Mysterious crash again
To: NetBSD list <amiga%NetBSD.org@messi.uku.fi>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@muikku.jmp.fi>
List: amiga
Date: 10/21/1994 10:20:48
Anyone seen this:

NetBSD locks up with SCSI LED off in the midst of normal usage, like
extracting files from a tar archive.  No error messages, no panic,
just a complete lock-up.

Running NetBSD -Current2 on A3000/16MB + 61 MB swap.  Disks: IBM Spitfire,
Quantum 170 MB.

I heard a rumour that Quantum drives may cause crashes because of some
errors in their SCSI interface - is this true?  How can a drive make
the machine crash?  I _do_ have swap on the Quantum, so if there are
random transfer errors, that could cause the crashes, of course..  But
my system was up for 11 days in a row without any problems.  Makes me
think the drives work well.

Any ideas?  A hidden bug somewhere?  Scary. :-I

  Jukka Marin

--

| Mail:  Jukka Marin         |     E-Mail:           jmarin@muikku.jmp.fi |
|        Metsurintie 17 B 8  |     FAX/voice:        +358 71 283 2793     |