Subject: Re: netbsd kernel compiling
To: Marc Duponcheel <mduponch@cisco.com>
From: Ron Roskens <roskens@reality.cs.umn.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 10/10/1994 08:51:09
Direct from the mouth of Marc Duponcheel:

> This is just a forward from what I posted on comp.unix.amiga
>

> Hello Amiga NetBSD developers etc ...
>
> I am trying to compile a kernel (not the very latest one ...
> just a kernel to learn how I must do it)
> I run prerelease #1 1.0 on a A4000/40 and use gcc 2.6.0
> The src is dated Aug 19 (date of CVS Tag files in arc/amiga)
>
> I did the following:
>
> cd arch/amiga/conf
> config.new GENERIC
> cd arch/amiga/compile/GENERIC
> make depend
> make
>
> The linker complains about
> _memcpy not resolved
> (I think I read something similar once ...)
> I write a memcpy and now it succeeds

There exists a problem with using gcc 2.6.0 to compile the kernel. I'm not
sure exactly where the problem is, but if you use the gcc included in /usr/bin
then it should compile fine.

> When I loadbsd the new kernel:
>
> 1) the screen turns black
> 2) floppy light flashes
> 3) hd light flashes twice
> 4) nothing ...
> (I think I read something similar once ...)
>
> A few questions:
>
> 1) my GENERIC netbsd is 800Kb and the good one is 1Mb
>    that's a big difference ...

Yep, and my 3000 specific kernel is about 660k.

> 2) is the memcpy error important (I would think so)

Yes. recompile with the included compiler.

> 3) should I go for a newer src ? if yes, is the Aug 19 src bad ?
>    btw where is a good site for the src

ftp.iastate.edu, ftp.uni-regensburg.de, ftp.eecs.umich.edu, All of which should
provide a quicker line than ftp.NetBSD.ORG.

> 4) I read in the 386faq about a ksrc directory, here is the SUP line:
> (ksrc release=current host=sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu hostbase=/b/anon_ftp
> base=/usr prefix=/usr backup)
> is this important too ?

If you want to sup the kernel sources. Be sure to get ksrc-amiga also. Change
the sun-lamp reference to sup.NetBSD.ORG too.

> 5) I also have ftp-ed an include directory which sits next to the sys
>    directory in kern/src, is that ok ?

Yes, but you should make sure that a /usr/include directory exists and contains
the needed include files. Just do a 'make install' as root inside that include
directory.

> PS: I really hope I will once contribute something to the Amiga NetBSD
> project ...

Don't we all...

> BTW: I already ported some things to Amiga NetBSD now I wonder
> how those people who contribute compiled soft end up with those
> nice packages that contain the binaries and docs ... Can this
> be automated ?

>From what I've read on the net, NetBSD is still trying to get this issue
resolved.

Ron