Subject: Re: NetBSD and the serial port.
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG, tkarki@algonet.se>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga
Date: 10/08/1994 09:14:32
To: tkarki@algonet.se
CC: amiga@NetBSD.ORG

>>>>> "Tomas" == Tomas Karki <tkarki@algonet.se> writes:

Tomas> I have problem with the serial port and NetBSD prerelease 2.  I
Tomas> want that it should be possible for others calling me, so I did
Tomas> this:

Tomas> echo "ats0=1" >tty00

This is generally a bad idea.  Use kermit, cu, tip or some other
communication program to establish the modem connection.  This way
you get a well defined state of the serial line.

Tomas> But when my computer tries to send something to the serialport
Tomas> (I think it is then it happens) the RD/SD LED:s is lit all the
Tomas> time. (I.e. something is sent from/to the modem all the time)

I guess you are using tty00 instead of ttym0 as the port you are
running getty on.  If so, the carrier is ignored and the getty
starts talking to the modem as soon as it sees some characters from
the modem.  When you send something to the modem, the characters are
probably echoed back to the getty process, which thinks they're
forming a login name (or password).  Now the getty answers with a neww
login (or password) promtp, which gets echoed byu the modem and this
goes on eternally.  If you use ttym0, the getty doesn't get any
characters unless the carrier goes high which it won't unless someone
calls in or out.  This means the getty most be shut off if you're
dialling out.  Anyway, this is the current state, I'll probably
fix this sometime with proper interlocking between these devices.

Niklas

Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50
Molndalsvagen 95	Email: niklas@appli.se
S-412 63  GOTEBORG, Sweden