Subject: Re: Timezones
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG, osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
List: amiga
Date: 10/02/1994 00:05:14
Michael wrote:
>   The config files still have a timezone adjust value, which isn't used
> anywhere as far as I could tell.  It also has a DST parameter.  The timezone

I once tried to use this to actually adjust the system time from the
rtc. For some reason, it didn't seem to work, but I didn't really
look into this.

> offset would be easy enough to use to adjust the time, but handling DST is
> much more complicated due to all the varous different rules.  This method

Tell me about DST. I hate it. Take the Netherlands. We're in the MET
timezone (that means 1 hour ahead of GMT), while logically (due to our
geographic position less than 7.5 degrees east of Greenwich) we should
be on GMT. And so should for instance Belgium, Luxemburg, 90% of
France, and Spain, (Portugal is on GMT already I think) and I haven't
even counted in the countries north of here.  And yet we do DST,
getting us even more out of sync with reality.  The newest is that it
even gets to be for 7 months per year instead of 6. Now what bunch of
idiots invented that we should be on summertime (the equivalent dutch
name for the phenomenon) I don't know, but I think it is totally
ridiculous to have it more than half the time.

I would personally vote for ignoring DST altogether. My computers don't
use it - why should anybody elses?    (cynicism alert)

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert    rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl     Ooey-Gooey-Fluffy-Barfie
\X/ I'm not weird, I'm differently percepted. D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96