Subject: Re: Timezones
To: None <joern@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
List: amiga
Date: 09/30/1994 08:47:04
On Fri, 30 Sep 1994 joern@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE wrote:

> But that is the problem: Either you have on both sides the right time,
> but then you have NetBSD set up for a wrong timezone, or you have the
> wrong time on the ADos side, but the right time *and* timezone with NetBSD.
>
> I haven't tried this yet, but maybe it is possible, to correct the time
> while booting (somewhere in rc.local), and resetting the time when
> shutting down (somewhere in fastboot, or whatever your favorite way to
> exit NetBSD is). AFAIK it is not (yet) possible to set the battery backuped
> clock from NetBSD, so the second step is probably not necessary.

I have spent some time looking into this.  It can be done, but it will be
difficult to do.  Problem #1 is that the in-kernel timezone support is
minimal, so doing reverse-timezone conversions from the RTclock are
difficult, and IMHO don't belong in the kernel.  Secondly, if the
time/date on a ufs partition is more recent than the RTC, the kernel
assumes a bad RTC and uses the value from the ufs partition, and this
value is set before /etc/rc is run.  This means that if you're in the
western hemisphere, your clock creeps forward a few hours each time you
reboot.

The only reasonable solution I can see is to have a user-level program
that directly getis its value from the RTC and resets the kernel time.
Unfortunately, the RTC is not consistent between Amiga models...

UGH!

Eduardo