Subject: Re: Booting from other devices
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.org>
From: L. Todd Masco <cactus@bibliob.slip.netcom.com>
List: amiga
Date: 09/27/1994 15:55:25
In article <9409270631.AA03976@amcu-tx.sps.mot.com>,
Alan Bair <abair@sol-tx.sps.mot.com> wrote:
>Typically the way this works is to copy the root image off of tape into the
>future swap partition. Then perform a special boot that does all processing in
>real memory, no use of the swap space. This "mini-unix" (munix in Sun terms)
>is used to setup the other filesystems copying the OS files from the rest of
>the tape or other tapes. Then you boot the newly constructed system.

Actually, munix (at least, SunOS 4.1.1 munix) can run straight out of
memory, from tape, without using the swap partition.  I genned a 4/260 a
week ago doing this... it's tight, but it works.

In general, though, you do load the mini-root to a swap partition.
--
L. Todd Masco  | "'War's good business, so give your sons': Oh, I'd rather
cactus@bb.com  |   have my country die for me." - Jefferson Airplane