Subject: Re: Help me! Ethernet vs Slip!
To: None <seebs@solutions.solon.com>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga
Date: 09/20/1994 09:55:10
>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Seebach <seebs@solutions.solon.com> writes:

Peter> Okay, so here's my problem: The machine you see this message
Peter> coming from (solutions.solon.com) is supposed to be net address
Peter> 192.129.84.3, as well as 199.199.120.161.  The 192.129.84.x
Peter> addresses are my class C license.  My home machine
Peter> (taniemarie.solon.com) is 192.129.84.133.  My other home
Peter> machines are connected by ethernet as 192.129.84.42 and
Peter> 192.129.84.69.

Peter> So, here's my problem: If I connect slip from xxx.133 to xxx.3,
Peter> I can't talk to the remote machine.  Why?  Because everything
Peter> assumes the slip interface is irrelevant, after all, we have a
Peter> local ethernet card which talks to 192.129.84.*.

Peter> How do I configure things so that two hosts are reached through
Peter> ethernet, say, and at least one is reached through slip, even
Peter> though they're in the same network?  Help!

I'm not a net-maintenance guru, but my impression of how to solve
this is:

You'll have to divide your network into two (or more) subnetworks.
Suppose you want to divide it into two subnets then your netmask
becomes 0xffffff80 instead of 0xffffff00.  After this division the
host numbers available to your first subnet will have to be in the
1-126 range and in the other: 129-254.  Make sure your different
ifconfig commands matches your netnumbers.  Then make route commands
on your other machines.

route add -net 192.129.84.128 192.129.84.3

Looking through the route man page, I see that maybe you don't have
to divide your net.  The -interface option seems to do something
reasonable.  Just choose a fictive network number for the SLIP
link.

It might be worth a try, test it.  Good Luck!

Niklas