Subject: Re: dealing with /opt
To: None <SULEWSKIJ@delphi.com>
From: Ron Roskens <roskens@reality.cs.umn.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 09/18/1994 10:28:30
Direct from the mouth of SULEWSKIJ@delphi.com:
> To whomever can answer this,
> 	I am new at this netbsd stuff. I have it working fine and X11 runs
> great! Yeah! But I don't understand how to deal with this /opt stuff
> I downloaded emacs gcc fvwm and bash. All of wish want to place themselves
> in the /opt directory. I put everything in /usr/opt. So how do I
> get everything installed and running right. I tried the ./../install/Install
> and i always get some sort of errors. Gcc says it can't find man. I know
> I'm making this sound vague but I just need to know how to deal with the
> /opt. Do I rename /usr to /opt? And were do I get all the includes for
> programming, like stdio.h and stdlib.h and et al? thanks for any help.

The use of /opt has been suggested as a place that can be used for binary
distributions. It's not the same as /usr, as other specific directories are
installed there. Using /usr/opt is an option, as long as you create a link from
/opt to /usr/opt most programs shouldn't complain.

As to your other problems, it sounds like you don't have a complete
installation on your system. So you need to make sure that the comp10 binaries
are installed properly.

Ron