Subject: Re: /opt (NOT!)
To: None <sjk@halo.nbn.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: amiga
Date: 09/13/1994 11:44:22
>     Only one question: Most programs demand hard-coded paths, e.g. Emacs. How does
>     one arrange to install such programs in any directory? The only thing I can
>     imagine is to add an additional symlink (e.g. when /opt is hardcoded and you
>     want to install in /usr/local, ln -s /usr/local /opt).
>
> Funny, I've done the inverse on my Solaris system since I prefer using /opt
> since it's a shorter pathname prefix. :-)

Me too, but I wasn't able to convince the folks here on this list of
that nice fact. :-)

> Btw, where are the hard-coded pathname dependencies in Emacs that can't be
> overridden with Lisp and/or environment variables (assuming Lisp packages
> follow their conventions)?  I can't think of any offhand but I'd like to
> know of any.

Sorry, I don't know the internals of Emacs, I just now it breaks if
you install it somewhere else. And AFAIK that's the same case with gcc
and most probably other software. I know of fvwm who has the path to
its system.fvwm really hardcoded (compiled in).

How can one handle that? Change the whole source? Compile single
modules when installing packages?

Hubert

      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de == IRC: hubertf