Subject: Re: /opt (NOT!)
To: Rob Healey <rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: amiga
Date: 09/12/1994 16:43:00
> 	I agree with Ty, we should adopt the FreeBSD pkg_* system and
> 	then at install time we can decide where we like the package
> 	to be; /usr/local? /opt? /foo? /fork_svr4? Then all the BSD
> 	systems can be radically different from each other, in the TRUE
> 	BSD tradition, and it won't matter!
>
> 	Everybody happy?

Sounds great. :-)

Only one question: Most programs demand hard-coded paths, e.g. Emacs. How does
one arrange to install such programs in any directory? The only thing I can
imagine is to add an additional symlink (e.g. when /opt is hardcoded and you
want to install in /usr/local, ln -s /usr/local /opt).

Hubert

--
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788