Subject: using X remotely
To: None <amiga-x@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jose Alburquerque <joselito@interramp.com>
List: amiga-x
Date: 01/07/1996 06:41:36
I was trying to run two applications from another host.

I used "rlogin host.domain -l myusername", and typed my password to login
remotely.  I then issued "xhost +host.hostdomain" locally to allow displaying
of graphics to my machine (I don't know if to call it host or server, but I
think it would be a server(?)).

Running csh in the remote machine, I used the command "setenv DISPLAY
myname.mydomain:0.0" so that any graphic displays are sent to my machine from
the host.  Interestingly enough both applications (Maple and Netscape) were
able to send its displays wonderfully and I was able to manipulate the
windows (moving, etc.), and menus and see the nice graphics.

However, I got the following message in the remote machine shell while
trying to send info over:

 ld.so: warning: /usr/lib/libc.so.1.6 has older revision than expected 8
 Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfActivate
 Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>osfActivate:   ManagerGadgetSelect() '

and a whole bunch of other similar warnings as the two last ones.  The
remote system is a Sun4 running XR5 (I think!) and my local system is a
NetBSD1.1 box with XR6 installed.  Any ideas what could be causing these
warnings?  I noticed that certain keys like BACKSPACE and DEL do not
respond or behave erratically (like the're not supposed to) in the
windows that are displayed by the remote host.  Does this have to do with
architechture?

-Jose

P.S. For those who want to know, I was just experimenting with my ppp
     connection (ie the the transferring is done through ppp), but I
     don't think this makes any difference.