Subject: Re: PicassoII vs. RetinaZ2
To: John Vrolijk <dsnjvro@deanna.ericsson.se>
From: Steve Paul <xeglon@shell.portal.com>
List: amiga-x
Date: 12/12/1995 16:43:47
On Tue, 12 Dec 1995, John Vrolijk wrote:

> question:
>
> Is the PicassoII better for X under NetBSD than the RetinaZ2 ?
> Also, under AmigaDOS, which one of the 2 is better ?
>
> Any comments welcome.

Uh oh!  I feel a "my display card is better than YOUR display card"
war coming on!

Well, John- they are both good quality boards.  Since you specified
NetBSD X, I would have to cast my vote on the Retina.  This
is mainly for compatibility reasons since my PicassoII will *NOT* work
under any circumstances with A2000 '040 accelerators and NetBSD X.
(and no, the words "does not work YET" is not a proper reply since I
heard that over year ago and have spent the last 6 months personally
pursuing this.. A2000 + 040 + Picasso = wierd problem! )

On the AmigaOS side- I do prefer my Picasso over my Retina, but only
by a margin of speed and compatibility.  The Villagetronics WB software
is pretty hard to beat for Workbench.  Plus, the Picasso's blitter
makes window dragging and window tiling feel more "natural".. much
like a stock Amiga display.

My best suggestion is to "watch for deals." Both cards offer beautiful,
crisp, hi-resolution displays with nice color... In reality, price
will usually be the deciding factor..  See what deals can be found!

Good luck!

Steve Paul,  McCue Systems, Inc.               	              Unix/VMS/C/C++
stevep@mccue.com 					       SUN/AMIGA/DEC
xeglon@shell.portal.com	  "If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."

Note: The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect
the views of my employer.