Subject: GRFMODES
To: None <amiga-x@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Hopper <bard@tiamat.chaldea.com>
List: amiga-x
Date: 11/19/1995 22:14:43
It looks like majordomo nuked my first message about this (which
is good, because I was raving a bit).

I'm trying to get a functional 16-bit display out of Xcl-alpha,
and I'm more than a little lost.

I'd love to get some help with the format of /etc/grfmodes.  I'm
guessing it's a lot like XFree86 in that it records video gun
timings.

Ideally, I'd like people to send me a list of their favorite
and/or functional grfmode settings, complete with a description
of their video card and a spec-by-spec technical description of
their monitor--I'll then compile these into a videomode database
like XFree86 has.  More so than the PC world, Amiga NetBSD users
are bound to have a lot of commonality, and I for one would love
to see what good modes are out there.

Is this a bright idea?  Naturally, playing with video modes is
dangerous.  It would be good to have some starting points to start
tweaking from.

David Hopper (bard@tiamat.chaldea.com)
Anthropology Department, Stanford University
Senior Technical Consultant, Technical Support Group @ Microsoft Corp.
NetBSD 1.1 (tiamat.chaldea.com) : NEXTSTEP 3.3 (marduk.chaldea.com)