Subject: Re: X on a Retina-Z3
To: None <amiga-x@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andreas Johansson <ajo@ludd.luth.se>
List: amiga-x
Date: 02/01/1995 12:37:52
According to H}kan Th|rngren:

> After much consideration I decided to go for a Retina-Z3 board and
> a 17" monitor (Mag MX17S) for my A3000/NetBSD setup.
>
> I installed the X11R6 January 4 distribution and Xamiga24 from the
> experimental directory.  I decided that /usr/local/X11R6 was not a good place
> for X so I moved it down to /usr/X11R6.  This turned out to be a bad decision
> since there appears to be many references to /usr/local/X11R6.
> I had to delete it and reinstall it at /usr/local again...
> Shouldn't it refer to /usr/lib/X11 and stuff rather than /usr/local/X11/lib?
>
> Now to my real problem.  When I started X, I was faced with a 640x400 display
> scrolling over a larger display.  This was not what I wanted, and I was
> lucky to find my way out of and back to the console again... :)
>
> In Amiga mode, I can use 'DefineMonitor' to create and tune a monitor
> defintion for the Retina.  I had to mess around a lot with the settings
> in DefineMonitor and my Monitor to get a decent 1280x1024 display, is
> this normal?
> Dare I say that I failed to make it appear as the workbench on startup... :(

There are quite a lot of troble with the Amiga software for Retina Z3.

> Well, this is ok for now as I want to use NetBSD.
> This textual description of the monitor, can I get it into Xamiga24 somehow?
> In that case, what source archives are needed?

The displaymodes are compiled in the kernel - if you have the kernel source,
take a look at the file /sys/arch/amiga/dev/grf_rh.c. All displaymodes are
defined in there. You can chose a different one without recompiling the
kernel by patching the kernel binary with the utility 'binpatch' (under
AmigaDOS). The symbol to patch is rh_default_gfx. This is actually a static
variable that is defined in the same file, grf_rh.c

Well, actually the rh_default_gfx is only used if you haven't started the
X-server with option '-mode num', in case mode num is used (num refers to
the screnmode number in the monitordefinitionstructure in grf_rh.c). I'm
not sure if this works with your kernel, there are some diffs available
to make this work, don't know if they are incorporated in the -current tree
yet, either.

So there are basically three ways, use one of the precompiled displaymodes by
'binpatching' your kernel or using -mode when the X server is started, or
change the screenmodes available in grf_rh.c.

I had to do the latter as I have an old workstationmonitor which doesn't
know about 'usual' displaymodes. I can make it sync between 48-58kHz.

>         /H{\aa}kan
>
> --
> Use MS-Windows every morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

:)

--

: E-mail: ajo@ludd.luth.se                            Amiga 4000 is it! :